Monday, November 22, 2004

Great Movies

Hello there boys and girls. I am coming to you guys live from Youngstown, Ohio. Yeah, yippie for me (sarcastic). What are you doing there you might ask, well, I am working, but will be home back tomorrow.

While I am here I thought I would share with you guys some movies I saw this weekend. The first one is Osama. I really, really, really enjoyed this movie. If you think we women have it bad now days you need to see how women under the Taliban regimen live. The movie follows the life of a young girl that has to become a boy to help her family out (only men are allowed to work). The movie is in Pashtu, but has English subtitles.

This movie made me realize that the Taliban is not about Muslim fundamentals, but about oppression. Baby Girl watched the movie with me and asked "why are they all covered up?" I proceeded to explain to her about a woman's role in that society. All of the sudden a man is seen on screen. Baby Girl asks "why is he not covered up?". If my three year old can see the injustice why can they?

The other movie I saw was Super Size Me. We are all guilty of eating fast food more than we are supposed to, if you are not please let me know what you do, so this movie hit close to home. The dieticians in the movie say you are only supposed to eat fast food one time per month, ouch!!

Overall I really liked the movie and I specially liked the paintings that they showed at several points throughout the film. Oh, yeah, they did mention that in 2002 Houston was the #1 fattest city in the US and the second in 2003. I guess that is a title we do not want to have.

No comments: