Thursday, May 18, 2006

Getting Older and Wiser

My birthday was last week and because of one reason or another I did not feel nor had time to blog about it. Turning 35, yes the half of 70!, was not as thought provoking as I thought it would be - the sky did not open up, rays of light did not shine on me, and I did not have an epiphany about my life – I just turned a year older. Yippie for me.

I remember the eve of my 21st birthday, that night I wrote myself a letter (a tradition that continues to this day when something major has happened) about how I felt and what was happening in my life. I read it now and laugh, not a mean laugh, I just a laugh at how at twenty-one one tends to sweat the small stuff, and I was perspiring a lot. The letter is, random thoughts, a collection of words that as I read them they remind me of the anxiety I felt that day – you know, that I am about to throw up feeling. I was so afraid of the unknown.

Today, I am no longer afraid. I have learned to say whatever happens, happens. I know for a fact that when a door closes a window does open up somewhere. Opportunity does knock. I have learned that you and you alone make your own fate, your own path in this world. Do not get me wrong, I still sweat, but now I do not let it affect me.

I have had a wonderful 35 years. I might not have gray-free hair, perky breasts, a stretch mark free body, or metabolism from hell, but dang it at thirty-five I know how to look and feel fabulous!

I now know who I am and I am no longer afraid. Look out world 35 is my year!!

For all of those that would like to celebrate with me, we will be having a May Birthday celebration on Friday, May 19th, at The Flying Saucer (Main/Capitol) starting at 6:30pm. If you have a May birthday and would like to be included on the birthday list please email me and let me know. So far we have six May birthdays. See you all there.

No comments: