Tuesday, May 16, 2006

New York - Wickedly Awesome

We really had a nice time in New York. It was a little laid back given that we had two kids in tow, but nice anyway. We left Houston on Wednesday (I was lucky that Continental ignored the fact that my bag was a couple of pounds over the 50 pound limit). That night we checked in at the 70 Park Avenue Hotel and headed out to walk around and get some dinner. We ended up finding a fabulous Cuban restaurant. It is just so nice not to be surrounded by chains and franchises.

On Thursday, the kids and I took it easy, JR was working, so we just hung out at the hotel and when the light went down the kids and I headed to Times Square. We went to Toys R Us and took a ride on the ferris wheel, we got to ride on the Little People School Bus.





The last time we were in NY Baby Girl was 4 months old. She was so funny, every morning she would get up and run to the window. She wanted to see if people were still outside walking. She just did not understand why they did not drive everywhere. I thought it was cute.

On Friday, we went out to lunch and I stayed in the hotel while the kids and JR visited The Morgan Library and Museum. That night we headed over to see Wicked!!!! I was so excited I saw the show in Houston, and loved it, and to see it in Broadway, well, it was a dream come true. We had second row tickets, it was amazing to be that close. The New York show had around five things that were different from the Houston show. I did not know why, but on Saturday when we went to the Wicked – Behind The Emerald Curtain tour I found out why.

The tour was an incredible experience. The actor that plays Dr. Dillamond, Sean McCourt, was the tour guide and here I am with him…





Anyway, the reason that the show was a little different, and by that I do not mean acting or movement, I mean actual line changes, is because they try out different things on tour and then take the changes back to Broadway. I love the theatre and have seen performances several times, so I think it is neat that Wicked makes changes and keeps evolving, making it fresh. I also found out that “Dancing Through Life” is a new number that was not in the original performance!





The tour was great and highly recommended. After the tour we headed to Central Park. We visited the carousel and the Central Park Zoo. We walked the Upper East Side and caught a cab back to the room. We took a nap and headed back out to visit The Metropolitan Museum of Art. Loved it.









The next morning we got up and headed to the Staten Island Ferry. Why Staten Island, well, the ferry is FREE and you get to take some awesome pics of New York City and the Statue of Liberty.





After that is was time to go home. Whew, I am still tired.

No comments: