Wednesday, October 11, 2006

No Halloween - Part 2

I was asked why I thought that Christianity was behind the banning of Halloween -

Well, the reason Christianity is behind banning Halloween is because, I live in an area that is very conservative. Plus, the Principal said “some people’s religions” and there are not many religions I can pick from around here.

Let me start by saying that I love all people. If you are Christian that is your belief and that is ok, more power to you, but why does Halloween need to be taken out of school because some, very few, people think its evil?

There should be separation of church and state, the religious feelings of one group should have nothing to do with Halloween, since it is not a religion and there are no beliefs attach to it. I think the parents of those kids who are against dressing up should keep their kids at home on that day. I plan to do just that if we can not have a little party at Baby Girl’s school on that day. I will keep her home and have her run around with her costume on all day. We can count candy or her spelling as the day goes on…a learning day, I say.

How would we feel if girls had to wear head scarves, or only skirts, because someone felt it was the "right" way to live? Where do we draw the line? Who is the school district listening to?

Ok, I can understand if the school district did not want ANY celebrations at the school, but why are they only cutting Halloween? Doesn't Valentine's Day make a big mess (I don't know why the Christian population hasn't gotten against that one too "the lovers" holiday and all, ok, I better not give them any ideas)? Plus, they have countless other celebrations on the schedule for this year.

We all grew up dressing up for Halloween and enjoying the festivities at school. It just does not seem right that the kids can not do that now. Plus, I don’t know that any of my friends became devil worshipers or witches just because they enjoyed a little Halloween.

Not finished yet…

No comments: