Tuesday, October 10, 2006

No Halloween

I am outraged!! I went to Baby Girl’s PTO meeting this morning and was informed that Conroe Independent School District would not be observing Halloween this year. My jaw dropped.

I know I live in a pretty conservative area, but I could not believe that now they want to take Halloween away from my child! As soon as I heard the news I raised my hand. “Is it a school thing or where is this coming from?” I asked. I was told that it was a CISD rule and that it was decided given some people’s religious backgrounds. My question is – since when did Halloween become a religion?! The last time I checked the kids dressed up, had a party at school, and walked around with a bucket for candy. What is going on?!!

Ok, I don’t know what is going on. I feel discriminated against for speaking out. I feel like the word “Halloween” has become as controversial as “Illegal Immigrant”. Halloween is awesome; the kids dress up in their favorite outfit and walk around getting candy, what can be greater than that? It is a kid day, a great AMERICAN tradition. I enjoyed it and I want my kids to enjoy it without feeling like it is taboo - something wrong they can not talk about or enjoy at school.

CISD has been pissing me off for a while. For all of you that don’t know CISD rents its buildings out to churches on the weekends so they can hold their gathering there. They have always help the community out in that way, ok, I must say, the Christian community. I have always wanted to call and say I was Muslim, Jewish, or Baha'i to see if they would be as “nice and accommodating”.

Ok, I know I am off on a tangent, but I am really pissed. I ended up talking to the Principal after the meeting, she was very politically correct and said that she could not stop me from dressing my child however I wanted that day. She also said that it was up to the teacher to decide whether she wanted to have a little party on that day. Immediately I went to BGs classroom where the teacher informed me that she “did not like Halloween”, but if the parents wanted to have a little party she was ok with that. What is not to like?!!!

To be continued…

No comments: