Sunday, January 11, 2009

Spring Awakening

I was so excited about this, not only was I going to see a musical, which all of you guys know I love, but I was going to see Spring Awakening the winner of eight, yes 8!, Tony Awards, AND I was going to be seating ON STAGE!!

Now, I have been to smaller community theaters, like Stages, where the action happens right on you, but I was at the HOBBY CENTER, a massive 2,650 seat theatre, so I was super excited to be “literally” a part of the event.

The show was fantastic, the music contemporary, and the actors amazing. Spring Awakening is a coming of age story, set at the turn of the century, when defiance was not tolerated and sexual awareness was punishable. There is nudity involved, but it is tastefully done and within the context of the story. The only downer is the sad ending; I guess it watches the mood of the era. It completely contrasts the high energy and excitement of the first act. Overall, it was an amazing show and I highly recommend it.

My experience on the front row of the stage seating is indescribable, but I will try. I love the theatre and to be able to be so close and see the actors expressions, movements, and to see how it all flows and comes together from a different perspective was pretty much a dream come true. Something I will never forget.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the theater too. The last one I saw was "The Glass Menegerie" at the Alley. I took my 15 year old daughter. She fell asleep in the second half. What the hell, I loved it.

Anonymous said...

What is wrong with me? I can't even spell my own name.