Wednesday, January 18, 2006

When It Rains It Pours

Sometime ago my mother tells me, “They are advertising on the TV that Ricky Martin is going to say something very shocking.” “He might be finally coming out saying he IS gay”, I answer.

I could care less if Ricky Martin is gay or not, but I hate all those public personalities that try so hard to cover their gayness that they come across as definitely, without a doubt, being gay. If you are, you are. Shout it out, be proud. I would not be one of those crazy women whose dream of sleeping with him has finally been crushed; I mean do they really have a chance? Anyway, back to my Ricky Martin story.

A few days later my mother tells me, “He did not say he was gay. He said that he likes “golden showers” and everyone is laughing about it, what is that?” I tell her that is when urination is used get some form of sexual arousal and tell her that at least he did not say that he likes someone going no.2 on him!

The backlash from Ricky Martin’s comments has been huge, people are asking for his resignation from UNICEF and from his own Ricky Martin Foundation. Isn’t a little unfair? I mean, he did not say he killed anyone or likes having sex with children. He just said what he likes and in the context of Blender (the magazine that did the interview) I don’t see what is wrong.

This type of public response is the same as when Paul Reubens (Pee Wee Herman) was caught masturbating at an XXX movie theatre. Isn’t that an outcome of going to a XXX theatre? Was he hurting anyone? Are all theatre masturbators arrested and fined?

My advice to all celebrities - stick to missionary, but even then I think someone out there will be offended.

No comments: