Monday, March 27, 2006

Religion and Me

I am not religious at all. I believe in being spiritual, but have no faith in religion.

I was raised Catholic, I was baptized and did my First Communion. My family went to church, but looking back I think that in Hispanic countries religion is part of the culture. People just go through the motions because that is what everyone else does without making waves. If you ask questions the response is always the same – because that is just the way it is.

When we moved to the States we attended church during the major events – mostly for Easter. As we grew up we moved from church to church. I don’t know exactly why, I guess my mom had made a new friend and they wanted to convert us, anyway, I have been Episcopalian, and Baptist. When I turned 18 I decided to go back to the Catholic faith. I attended church religiously and usually by myself since my mother had long ago given up trying to show my sister and me the way.

By my 20th birthday I was calling myself Agnostic, and by my 21st I was an Atheist. Now I say – Why can’t we just get along! Six years ago I started collecting religious Gods/figures/books and started a shrine dedicated to all world religions. I have the Quran, a Bible, the Book of Mormon, several Buddha’s, Hindu Gods, candles, and charms. I used to have then all out, JR would say that some would feel offended by the display and I would say that, well, it was my house. The items are now in a box in the garage along with 10 other boxes we never opened after we moved to Houston.

The reason that I am sharing this info is because I live in The Woodlands and up here people wear Jesus on their sleeve. There is not one place where it does not come up. Women even practice the Rhythm Method!!! I have heard “Is that what Jesus would do?” uttered one too many times. And people actually sign their emails with a religious saying or a religious website.

Yesterday, Baby Girl had dinner at a friend’s house. When it came time for Grace they told BG that since she was the guest she was to lead. She declined. When I picked her up I was told what had happened and was asked if I went to church. I am just glad she has other friends since we might not be hearing back from this one. Today I asked Baby Girl about what happened at Grace. She looked at me and said “Who is Grace?”

I need help. I am afraid for my children; I do not want them to be labeled as “those are the kids of the heathens”. I have started talking to her about different religions, but she is only 4 and do not know how much she is actually getting. Is anyone out there facing the same issue and how are you handling it?

No comments: