Thursday, July 20, 2006

Women Rule!

I am fuming. There aren’t many times when I get angry at words someone wrote. I think it is a free country and people are able to write whatever they want (yoo, hoo, first amendment), but I feel compelled, torn, perplexed and flat out angry about what I just read on a comment in someone’s blog (I will NOT give publicity to such blog here).


Hello,
On the topic of stay-at-homes mum etc. - don’t you think housewives are redundant?
In all seriousness, our great grandmothers all had horrible lives as slaves without rights (aka housewives) but actually had to do some hard work.

They made their own bread, had to hand wash clothes, beat the dust out of rugs, chop firewood etc. these days we have appliances and supermarkets- a woman who has no career in favor of stacking the dishwasher and putting a load through the washing machine seems to be a person that is merely inherently lazy or otherwise severely oppressed.

Given the availability of reasonably priced appliances, it is ridiculous to suggest a housewife is necessary. What, can’t those big old tough chauvinists figure out how to start the damn machines? If women grew some confidence they could have successful careers whilst sharing the menial housework tasks with their husbands (by that I mean 50:50 not 80:20).

And I’m sick of hearing ‘not everyone can afford a dishwasher’ - if a couple can’t afford a dishwasher, that’s even more reason for both to be working.

Which brings me to a side rant of ‘daycare’s too expensive’- maybe if these women bothered to get an education and had some work ethic instead of spreading their legs and morphing into heifers, they’d have a high-paying career with generous maternity leave and be able to afford the ‘overpriced’ daycares upon returning to work and an identity outside of fetus oven.

Men can have careers and family; have them make some sacrifices for a change. However, that said, many mums I know think the world owes them a living because they’re a ‘mummy’. So they reproduced- big deal, it’s a fact of life, nothing special so stop budging and get back to work!

TC.
(PS This site lets me blow of steam- thank you so much for that!)


Jerk!! I wish I had him/her in front of me so I could choke them. I am a mother, career women, and business owner. I have a degree. I also waited to have children until I was more “mature”, but let me tell you guys something - it is A LOT easier to have a job than to be a stay-at-home mom. Being a stay-at-home mom is a 24-hour a day job, no sick days, no lunch breaks, no raises; frankly I do not know how they do it.

According to Salary.com, “Stay-at-home mothers wear many hats. They're the family CEO, the day care provider, accountant, chauffeur, counselor, chef, nurse, laundress, entertainer, personal stylist, and educator. Based on a 90-hour work week, Salary.com has estimated that a fair wage for the typical stay-at-home mom would be well over $90,000 for executing all of her daily tasks. Factor in overtime, and the appropriate salary takes a leap of around $25,000”.

I believe that a woman can do and be whatever she wants. That is the beauty of being us! We can choose to be mothers, wives, single, married with kids, married without kids, career women, and we can also choose to stay at home to take care of our children. Every woman makes a decision, a decision that is hers and hers alone based on beliefs, income, and background. How does the saying go? You can not criticize someone until you have walked a mile in their shoes. More people should remember that.

Being a stay at home mother is not for everyone, I am envious of the ones that love it and do it well. I wish I could. So, I am sticking up for you my sisters – the ones that are paid daily with hugs and kisses.

No comments: