Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Working, Vacation, and the Thyroid??

I am currently in College Station, Texas working (go Aggies?!!). This time I was able to bring the kiddos with me, since I drove and all, and, of course, my mom to help me take care of them.

I will be here until Wednesday. I think I might be going to Dallas next week, huh, we will see. I finally asked for vacation. I can not believe that we waited until the last possible week for us to take time off. Baby Girl will be starting school on August 16 and we will be back from the Cayman Islands a whole 2 days before her public school induction.

Baby Girl has had me worried a lot lately. I have seen her gain weight little by little during the last couple of months, to the point of worrying me. I was taking her jogging and had her on an exercise plan, but the weight did not go anywhere. I was worried and thought about calling the Dr, but did not know how that conversation would go – “Dr. my daughter Baby Girl has been gaining weight and I don’t know what is going on”, “Do not worry Chica, what kind of signs does she have?”, “Well, since she got out of school she has been going to sleep late, sleeping in, eating junk food, and doing things kids do during the summer”. The doctor would have obviously told me to wait until her next physical, next month, to take her in.

I was going to have to be sneaky about it. I waited until Baby Girl complained of an ailment and I took her in. I told the doctor about my thyroid problem and told her that Baby Girl might have the same thing; she agreed and ordered a blood test. Now, taking blood, or getting it done, from a four year old it is not my idea of fun, but we were lucky that the person taking the blood knew what he was doing. The whole process was fast and painless.

A few days later the doctor calls us and says that Baby Girl has no thyroid activity what so ever! None, nothing, nada. She is completely hypo. This saddens me because I have had my blood taken out, in average, once every six months for the past 10 years and I HATE it. Just imagine having your blood taken every six months from the time you are four years old!

When I was pregnant I was told that the baby would not be affected by my thyroid problem. The Sequel would be tested in a couple of months. I really hope he is ok.

No comments: