Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Race and TV

It seems that I have been forgetting my blogger responsibilities. It has almost been a week since I last blogged. It is not that I had anything really amazing going on or anything - I guess I have been rather lazy. I am sorry!!

Ok, I am totally amazed that Jennifer Hudson (black) was "voted least" (my coined term) from American Idol. She was NOT the worst singer of the bunch.

I sometimes wonder, not all the time or else all TV viewing would be ruined, how much influence do outside forces (not voting people) have on who gets selected. The producers of the show would want to have a the most popular person, a good singer with a good personality, as the winner, but they also need to have someone that is going to sell albums (The producer of the show also produces the record). Take Ruben Studdard (black) for example - Last year Ruben was the most popular with a great voice and ok personality, but he has sold the least when it comes to album sales compared to all AI finalists.

There are only 6 people left on American Idol. The top three singers are black. There are two white (mediocre singers). And one Hawaiian (would she be white??) with a better voice than the two whites. All I wonder is - Will the two finalist be black? They have to be! They have the better voices.

I am not trying to make this a race thing, but race plays a big part in advertising and that is what makes shows possible. Race has also played a big part in album sales. I really hope that there is no tampering with the votes...I like living life with rose colored glasses.

No comments: