Friday, May 07, 2004

Friends - A 10 year run

Last night I watched the series finale of Friends. I had not watched the show in forever, but fell compelled to watch the end, why?, well, I dunno, maybe because I knew everyone else would be watching it and wanted to add my 2 cents, or maybe because, at some point in the past I actually identified with one of those six characters, or maybe because, well, it was on for 10 years.

As I watched the pre show and then the last episode my thoughts were not on the show itself, but on my life and how quickly a decade has gone by. I hate to sound like a cliche, but time sure flies. I sat there in front of the TV and thought back at what I was doing 10 years ago when the series premiered. Well, lets see...I was barely 22. I was not married, and Olivia was not even a figment of my imagination. I was attending UH and getting drunk and partying a little bit too much. And as I watched those friends I thought of mine - the ones that have come and gone, and the ones that are in it for the long haul. Friends it what makes life special.

Friends are the people you can sit around with and just spend hours talking about when you were young and stupid. They are the people that know the crushes you had, met the little boys you liked, and helped you mend a broken heart. They lent you money when you were broke and celebrated with you in your accomplishments.

Even though, I did not enjoy last night's episode of Friends I do want to thank it for taking me back in time and reminding of how special my own friends are to me.

No comments: