Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Life

This afternoon J.R. calls me and tells me that he is stuck in traffic. He tells me to go to the traffic website to see what is going on. I get on there and see that there is an accident. I tell him this and hang up. It always amazes when there is an accident at 1:30 in the afternoon. I think there is no traffic why is there an accident?! I continued to think about this and get angry until J.R. gets home two hours later.

I forget all about the accident until I see the news. It turns out that a lady was talking on her cell phone while her two, 4 and 5 year old, daughters where in the back seat. All of the sudden she turns around to talk to the girls and runs off the road and into an 18-wheeler that was parked on the shoulder fixing a flat. The impact is so severe that her 5 year old, that is in a car seat, is completely thrown clear and dies instantly. The right side of the car is completely taken off. You can read the story here.

As a mother my heart goes out to her. I think, what did she turn around to tell the girls? Did she yell at them? (she was on the phone after all) or did she turn around to see something cute they were doing? I guess I will never know.

This whole accident made me think of how fragile life is, what a short time we have here, and how we all need to tell people in our lives all the time how much they mean to us. After all, you just never know when it will be the last time you see them.

No comments: